Monday, January 5, 2009

Challenge!

Hello
The holidays came and went so fast, I will add photos soon. It makes such a difference when you have a child during the holidays, I can't believe it it completely changes the meaning of it. I thorouhgly enjoyed Christmas this year it seemed so real the Christmas story as I looked at my little one and envisioned Mary doing the same. I also enjoyed the looked on my baby's face as she woke up that morning and her reaction to her little gifts she was so happy with the wrapping papers that could have been her present. hahah.

Anyway now to the real reason I decided to post tonight. As you can see it's quite late well almost midnight. I just finished reading the last book of a very popular series I'm sure a lot of you have read. I finished and I had a troubling question why in the world can I read a huge almost 800 page book in a couple of weeks and not be able to read The Book of Mormon with the same enthusiasm, excitement and need to finish it. I've felt so ashamed lately that I have decided to Challenge myself and those of you who would like to join me... I am planning on reading The Book of Mormon as a novel, or as an entertainment book, I know it may be hard but I think that it will be worthwile and if I see it in that light I will understand it better. I plan on reading the published version that came out in 2004 (573 pages), The reason I want to do that is to help me visualize the book not only as scripture but as a book that has interesting stories that will help change our lives. I know it may sound cheesy but I need every motivation I can get to finish reading The Book of Mormon and gaining a greater appreciation for this "Marvelous work and a Wonder" So don't hesitate to ask me when you see me, how am I doing on my reading the more people ask the more I will need to read. If anyone takes this challenge with me let me know your feelings as you read aI would love to hear your insights. I plan on taking notes on all the people, and places of The Book of Mormon so I can better get to know them.

That's all I had to say, by the way those of you who were wondering I thoroughly enjoyed the last book but I'm glad it's over, it was getting too crazy for me. But as always a good ending.

Good Night! Becs

2 comments:

Erika said...

Very good challenge Becca! I love it! I just finished the D&C and plan on the Pearl of Great Price, but it's only like 60 pgs and then I'll get in on your challenge with you. I loved reading it the year Pres. Hinckley challenged us to read it. It felt like a novel because I was reading it in such big chunks...I think i read 13ish chapters in one sitting once! So, thanks for the challenge, it seems that's what works for me! Glad you liked that "other" book too and yes it was getting a bit crazy!

See ya, Erika

PS. sorry I've not been myself lately on the phone, etc. It's these darn meds, they mess me up sometimes and I realize later that I wasn't very peppy! But thanks so much for the presents. Noah LOVES the play-do...great idea! The other kids do too! They have run out of it, so it was a perfect idea! And we are excited for our gift certificate! I already told you I loved the boots and the game is great too! Thanks, luv ya!

Jewls said...

Becca!! I guess I'm not so great at blog-stalking cuz I just barely realized you have a blog! I will add you to my blog-roll. I love this post! I totally agree! I can read a book a day, but when it comes to scriptures I have to force myself to read. I just started the New Testament and so far it's really good! I'm reading it with a study guide, so I actually understand things, and it is a totally new experience! I would recommend reading the BOM with the institute manual, it's really enlightening!
Anyway, I think that I am going to take you up on this challenge, but I will probably wait til AFTER I finish the NT.

P.S. I went to an Aggie game last night, and a few girls I saw there totally reminded me of us our freshman year! I miss you gals!! :)